General site and Community Terms and Conditions of Use
This Agreement shall be governed by and construed in accordance with English law and the English courts shall have exclusive jurisdiction over any suit, action, proceedings or dispute (including non-contractual disputes or claims) arising out of or in connection with this Agreement.
Provision of the Site
The Site is provided by Indie Limited as the owner of the Indie trademark (referred to in this document as "Indie", “us” and “we”) and intended for use by registered members and general site visitors (referred to in this document as “members”, “site visitors”, “you”, “your” and “users”).
Use of the Site
Whenever you use (access, register with or sign into) Indie.ws, you are accepting the terms and conditions as laid out below.
To register with Indie, you must be 18 years of age and legally competent to enter into a contract, or have the permission of your parent or guardian.
Your use of any information or materials on this website is entirely at your own risk, for which we shall not be liable. It shall be your own responsibility to ensure that any products, services or information available through this website meet your specific requirements.
You agree to indemnify, defend and hold Indie, its agents, affiliates, subsidiaries, directors, officers, employees and applicable third parties (e.g. relevant advertisers, syndication partners, licensors, licensees, consultants and contractors) (collectively "Indemnified Person(s)") harmless from and against any and all third party claims, liability, loss, and expense (including damage awards, settlement amounts, and reasonable legal fees), brought against any Indemnified Person(s), arising out of, related to or which may arise from, your uploaded/published Content, and/or breach of any term of this Agreement.
Purchase of eBooks from the Indie.ws Store
Restrictions on Use of Content
Books purchased or downloaded from Indie.ws are for personal use only; books must not be shared or resold and must not be reproduced for commercial use.
Refunds on bought books – No refund is available on any book downloaded from eBook store on any grounds other than the integrity of the file (i.e. if the file downloaded is corrupt or unfit for purpose). Refunds are only available up to 28 days from date of purchase.
You agree not to enter, upload, post, share or transmit any content:
1. that promotes or incites violence, sadistic, cruelty, threatening or abusive behavior;
2. that is harassing, menacing, unlawful, harmful, tortious, libelous, or defamatory;
3. that is overly vulgar, obscene or indecent;
4. that is invasive of any other person's privacy;
5. that is hateful or racially, ethnically or otherwise objectionable;
6. that violates any right of privacy which is libelous or violates any personal right or other right of any kind of any person or entity (this includes publishing a person's private email address without their permission;
7. that would violate any of Your contracts or would disclose any information given to you on the understanding that it would not be published or disclosed;
8. that you do not have a right to transmit under any law or under any contractual or fiduciary relationship
9. that creates a risk to public safety or health, compromises national security or interferes with investigation by law enforcement;
10. that would be injurious to End-Users or others including but not limited to recipes, formulae or instructions;
11. that advocates hateful or discriminatory behaviour in any way, including by way of sex, race, religion or age;
12. that advocates illegal activities;
13. that may damage Indie’s goodwill or reputation;
14. that contains computer viruses or any other computer code, files or programs designed to interrupt, destroy or limit the functionality of any computer software, hardware or telecommunications equipment;
15. that is unfair or deceptive under consumer protection laws of any jurisdiction;
16. that contains hyperlinks to affiliate marketing pages, especially if the eBook is published for the sole intent of publishing hyperlinked content that directs readers to affiliate marketing pages;
17. that advocates or promotes "systems" about how to make money on the Internet by publishing eBooks;
18. that contains SEO keyword spam, either in your manuscript or your metadata tags;
19. that contains advertisements for services, or contain partial books for the purpose of promoting the purchase of the same book on a different service;
20. that plagiarises or pirates any other work or infringes upon any copyright, trademark or other proprietary right
Community Terms & Conditions
Responsibility for Your Community Content
You alone are responsible for any Messages, Reviews or Comments (“Your Community Content”), and once published, it cannot always be withdrawn. You assume all risks associated with Your Community Content, including anyone's reliance on its quality, accuracy, or reliability, or any disclosure by you of information in Your Community Content that makes you personally identifiable. You represent that you own or have the necessary permissions to use and authorise the use of Your Community Content as described herein.
You may expose yourself to liability if, for example, Your Community Content contains material that is false, intentionally misleading, or defamatory; violates any third-party right, including any copyright, trademark, patent, trade secret, moral right, privacy right, right of publicity, or any other intellectual property or proprietary right; contains material that is unlawful, including illegal hate speech or pornography; exploits or otherwise harms minors; or violates or advocates the violation of any law or regulation.
Our Right to Use Your Community Content
We may use Your Community Content in a number of different ways, including publicly displaying it, reformatting it, incorporating it into advertisements and other works, creating derivative works from it, promoting it, distributing it, and allowing others to do the same in connection with their own websites and media platforms ("Other Media"). As such, you hereby irrevocably grant us worldwide, non-exclusive, royalty-free, sub-licensable, transferable rights to use Your Community Content for any purpose. You also irrevocably grant the users of the Service and any Other Media the right to access Your Community Content in connection with their use of the Service and any Other Media. Finally, you irrevocably waive, and cause to be waived, against Indie and its users any claims and assertions of moral rights or attribution with respect to Your Community Content. By "use" we mean use, copy, publicly perform or display, distribute, modify, translate, and create derivative works of Your Community Content.
For the avoidance of doubt Indie claims no rights over content released for Community review. See "Author Ownership of Content Released for Community Review" below.
Ownership of Community Content
As between you and Indie, you own Your Community Content. We own the Indie Content, including but not limited to visual interfaces, interactive features, graphics, design, compilation, computer code, products, software, aggregate user review ratings, and all other elements and components of the Service excluding Your Community Content, User Content and Third Party Content. We also own the copyrights, trademarks, service marks, trade names, and other intellectual and proprietary rights throughout the world (the "IP Rights") associated with the Indie Content and the Service, which are protected by copyright, trade dress, patent, trademark laws and all other applicable intellectual and proprietary rights and laws. As such, you may not modify, reproduce, distribute, create derivative works or adaptations of, publicly display or in any way exploit any of the Indie Content in whole or in part except as expressly authorized by us. Except as expressly and unambiguously provided herein, we do not grant you any express or implied rights, and all rights in and to the Service and the Indie Content are retained by us. We reserve the right to remove, screen, edit, or reinstate User Content from time to time at our sole discretion and without notice to you. For example, we may remove a review if we believe it violates our terms and conditions. We have no obligation to retain or provide you with copies of Your Community Content, nor do we guarantee any confidentiality with respect to Your Community Content.
Author Ownership of Content Released for Community Review
When you release a book, part of a book or any content for community review, Indie does not claim any rights, license or ownership over it whatsoever.
By releasing content for community review, you are reasserting your copyright ownership over this content. If you release for review content that you do not own, or the copyright is held by another author it will be removed and we will ban you from Indie.
From time to time Indie may change the terms within this Agreement. Indie will send users a message regarding the change when the terms are changed. By continuing to use the site you agree to review and be bound by these terms. If you do not agree to be bound by any future changes, you should discontinue your use of the site.
If you have any questions around these general site terms please feel free to contact us at email@example.com and we will answer any of your questions.
If you are looking for the book publishing terms of service you can find them here.